Surprise someone with a square egg dish today and keep them wondering!
- Recycled cereal box
1. Make a 3.8cm square box out of a cereal box. Fold and make sure the glossy and waxy surface is on the inside of the box. Tape the edges together.
2. Bring one egg to boil for 7-10 minutes in a pot. Remove from heat and gently peel the eggshell.
3. Slowly push the egg into the box, pointy end facing down.
4. Carefully close the box, wrap it with 2 rubber bands around.
5. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
You'll have a square egg after!
When you boil an egg, molecular chemistry is doing its work. Eggs are made up of two kinds of molecules: protein and water.
When the boiled egg cools down, the proteins settle and its bonds solidify to form the shape of a rubbery egg. When it's still hot, the bonds between the proteins are moldable. That is why when you place a hot hard-boiled egg into a square box, it comes out in a cubic form!